The geodata available from the Federal Administration can be obtained directly from the relevant Federal Office. Metadata can be obtained free of charge from geocat, Switzerland’s geographical metadata catalogue. Geodata can be downloaded free of charge subject to certain restrictions. Please observe all the relevant conditions of use.
Geodata can be obtained directly via the websites listed here:
- access to the products of cadastral surveying
geocat.ch is the geographical metadata catalogue for Switzerland. Metadata can be accessed here free of charge. Metadata is an essential component of any geodata infrastructure. Federal Offices, Cantons, municipalities and private firms record the metadata about their own geographical data-sets in geocat.ch. geocat.ch is the ideal starting point for searches for special geodata such as aerial photographs, protected heritage sites, natural hazards, earthquakes, etc., etc.
Federal Office for Spatial Development (ARE)
Federal Roads Office (FEDRO)
Federal Office for Agriculture (FOAG)
- Agricultural area boundaries
- Klimaeignungskarte für die Landwirtschaft
Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN)
- Natural areas, Swiss national park
- Federal inventories
Federal Office of Civil Aviation (FOCA)
Swiss Federal Office of Energy SFOE
- Nuclear power plants
- "Deep geological repository" sectoral plan
- "Electricity transmission lines" sectoral plan
- Overview of hydropower plants
- Overview plan of electrical installations
- Scope of application of the ordinance on the compensation of losses in hydropower use (VAEW)
- Layout plans for electric cable systems
Swiss Federal Statistical Office (FSO)
- Land use and land cover (area statistics), land suitability
- Census data covering population, households, housing and buildings
- Business statistics covering information on workplaces and employees
- Generalised municipal boundaries
- District boundaries in large cities
- Terrain data at 100 m resolution
Federal Office for Topography swisstopo
Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology (MeteoSwiss)
- Climatic and meteorological data products
The Geoinformation Act and the competent bodies within the Federal Administration lay down the rules governing publication of and public access to geodata and basic geodata. Geodata and basic geodata have been made directly accessible on the Internet, subject to the following conditions:
- The published and freely available geodata should meet a large part of the need for geographical information, rapidly and at moderate cost. Basic geodata is accessible in accordance with the Geoinformation Ordinance GeoIV Annex 1 (Art. 1 Para. 2) .
- Geodata is available in a limited range of standard formats and as far as possible covers the whole of Switzerland.
- To optimise the volumes of data and its compatibility with different software, geodata may if necessary be broken down into a range of different specifications and/or include different levels of content. This also allows different prices to be charged.